Extracts taken from the book:
More Rhodesian Senior Schools (Part 2) 1950-1982
Jameson High School
Note that the extracts below only covers a portion of the text for that given page.
Back


This book and this web page is copyright. No portion may be reproduced in any form without written permission of the publishers.


Extracted from Page vii....

LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS - JAMESON HIGH SCHOOL

  Page
Mrs. Amelia Fitt 74
Warne House, circa 1940 74
Sir Peveril William-Powlett visits the school in 1959 75
The consecration of the cenotaph 76
Leander House, 1960 76
Gwen Fitt makes a presentation to Lady Kennedy, 1953 77
The portrait of Mr John Simpson 78
Sir Roy and Lady Welensky arrive to open the school hall, 1959 78
The school hall 78
Guests at the 25th Anniversary Dinner 79
A scene from Arsenic and Old Lace 79
A scene from Dial M for Murder 79
1st Cricket XI, 1962 80
All-rounder, Peter Swart, 1974 80
U-14 Rugby team, 1955 81
lst Rugby XV, 1971 81
Outstanding junior XV, 1977-79 82
Hester Dreyer winning ithe 200 metres 82
1st Hockey XI, 1963 (unbeaten) 83
Basketball / Tennis overseas tour, 1981 83
Adrienne Wilson, National Diving Coach 84
Girls' Swimming team, 1978 84
Cross-country team, 1978 85 85
Mr. J. Steenkamp 85
School art exhibition, 1982 85
Mr RA Gordon 85
Aerial view of the school, 1959 86



Extracted from Page 74 ....
THE SMALL TOWN of Gatooma grew up alongside the railway line and owes its existence to Mr Godwin who opened a business in 1906 as a forwarding agent to the mines which bad already been established in the district. Others were quick to see the future possibilities and within two years several businesses had been established and the settlement was given a Sanitary Board (later known as a Village Management Board). As families moved into the area so education began in the home of Mrs Amelia Fitt, whose husband was the town's first Mayor, and in time was affectionately referred to as the 'Father of Gatooma. Mrs Fitt, who was born in London and was the daughter of the principal of Swansea College, Mr David Salmon, held the fort for just over a year whilst the town's first school was being built.
One wonders whether the originators of the school's motto Sine Metu (which means Without Fear) were ever aware of an old time story of the first Gatooma Public School. The Chronicle records:

One night in 1908, when the first schoolhouse was being built, the walls were complete but the corrugated iron sheets had only been nested in position for nailing. The builders decided to spend the night inside. In the early hours they heard a sniffing and sniffing. One individual, braver than the rest, took a peep outside. He saw a lion. Fear took over and panic ensued and in an attempt to frighten the beast away the men hammered on the corrugated iron roof with tools and sticks. Suddenly the loose iron sheets gave way and the whole structure fell on top of the terrified occupants with a clamour that certainly achieved its object - the lion was seen no more. Next morning the foreman builder pointed a shaking finger at the damp pile of mortar near the building. Clearly seen was a fresh print a lion's print....

Extracted from Page 76 ....
....someone complained of fraternization with the enemy and the internees were again restricted.'
To digress a little, the cenotaph, at present in the grounds of Jameson High School, was once an altar in the cemetery of the Italian internees camp during the 1939-45 war. An Old Boy, Mn Benny Leon wrote: 'These Italians numbering some 2000 were captured in Abyssinia in 1942 and were placed in a camp, eight kilometres west of Gatooma. Using modified farm implements, internees worked from a plan by architect Ravanelli, using stone from locally found granite boulders and completed the altar during 1944-45. The arch, in fact, is all that remains of a beautifully laid out altar and memorial and was, through the skill of Mr. Tony Marques, dismantled stone by stone and re-erected at its present site in 1977. The same year the cenotaph was dedicated at a moving ceremony by the Rev. Norman Wood and now bears the names of those former pupils who died fighting during the 1967-79 war.
His Excellency the Governor, Sir Evelyn Baring, opened the new school on 11 March 1943 and the acting headmaster, Mr Robinson, used the opportunity to outline not only the school's considerable development but the type of education prevailing at Jameson at that time:

In the past our townspeople have thought of Gatooma as the' Cinderella' of Rhodesian education. The old school buildings were mean, hot and uncomfortable and the facilities for education beyond a primary course were meagre. Now the 'Cinderella' has become a princess. In place of the out-of-date buildings we have a modern and fine building. Educationally, too, we have advanced and a full senior modern course is now provided. It is an education designed to fit the average boy and girl for citizenship. It is not designed to meet the needs of the youth going to a university. What then do we teach in this modern course? Both boys and girls take the usual English, arithmetic, geography and history. Stress is laid on the needs of everyday life so that letter-writing is more important that essay-writing and the calculations of everyday life more important than the solution of abstract problems. Girls take a four-year course in housecraft designed to fit them to run a home efficiently and economically. In Forms III and IV a training in typing, bookkeeping and shorthand is provided. Boys have gardening, woodwork and a general science course, while the mathematics they do is thoroughly practical, involving as it does the use of surveying instruments made by themselves. In the case of both boys and girls there is a training in art and craftwork which alms at an appreciation of the beauty around us and at least gives the satisfaction of creation.

Despite Mr. Robinson's encouraging remarks, dissatisfaction was expressed as early as 1946 about this system of education. At a well-attended public meeting, Mr. George Munro, MP, said: 'When the new school was built, the Education Department, instead of increasing the academic standard, created what was known as an "upper top" and it was understood that .....

Extracted from Page 78 ....
....history, Joy Davies, Rodney Hill and Jennifer Webley all won individual awards at successive drama festivals. Mention might also be made of Trevor Southey's scenery painting - the 1957 magazine referred to 'the pleasure of watching him at work, dispensing vast quantities of paint, gaudy but purposeful, the Grand Canal emerging so vividly, spaciously, as his vision was realised . . . and, later the pleasure of seeing the whole scene shimmering under the lights'. Trevor was to become an artist of note and his commissioned oil portrait of Mr John Simpson hangs in the school hall. The 1959 production of The Mikado was staged in honour of the opening of the John Simpson Hall by the Prime Minister of the Federation, Sir Roy Welensky. This was the culmination of years of fund-raising (the school raised Pounds5000) and Sir Roy and Lady Welensky were among the packed gala audience which was treated to the delightful music and songs that abound in this, possibly the best of the Gilbert and Sullivan collaborations. The school continued to expand in the 1960s - a new hostel was opened and named after Miss Ann Hoult who had been superintendent of Leander for ten years, whilst a new library, domestic science room and gymnasium were welcome additions. The main cricket field was extended with some 4000 tons of rock, rubble and soil being used for the purpose. Jameson's loyal groundsman of many years' service, Mn Chris Hart, supervised the building of the cricket and tennis pavilions of which the former now bears his name. The school sadly bade farewell to Mr and Mrs Simpson on their transfer to Salisbury during 1961 when Mr Simpson was appointed headmaster of Churchill School. With the support of his able deputy, Mn David Livingstone, he had built assiduously on .....

Extracted from Page 80 ....
....and Trubbil, and shouldered the ambitious production of Oliver in conjunction with the Campbell Theatre. In more recent times Brush with a Body, Zigger-Zagger and Billy Liar, with their diverse demands, have appropriately tested the acting abilities of the school pupils. Graham Walker gave two admirably sustained performances in the latter two plays whilst Stephen Flynn emerged as an actor of considerable talent who has since taken lead parts in major Salisbury productions.
The school has always endeavoured to maintain a healthy balance between cultural and sporting activities. This might be an opportune point at which to consider the impressive record built up in a wide range of activities on the sports- field. Always willing to challenge the larger schools, Jameson's various sides have usually risen to the occasion but pride of place belongs to the cricketers. The most distinguished Old Boy to emerge during the 1940s - Joe Partridge, the Springbok opening bowler, learned the rudiments of the game at Jameson before migrating to Umtali in 1948. Progress in cricket initially outstripped all other activities and was such that during the 1950's Jameson was competing favourably against the best school XIs in the country. In 1956 Ken van Blerk made the school's first century 128 not out against Que Que. Winston Wood became the first Nuffield representative in 1958 and he is the only 1st XI player to have taken all ten wickets in an innings against Guinea Fowl for twenty-eight runs. Billy Hodnett, who holds the 1st XI record for the highest individual score (159 against Mount Pleasant in 1961) was selected two years running for the Nuffield side, topping the averages at the 1962 Week He was also an outstanding success on the 1962 Fawns tour to England and made a brilliant 143 not out against Alec Bedser's famous XL Club at the Oval. Billy and his younger brother Ken both gained selection for Rhodesia on leaving school.

Extracted from Page 82 ....
The Swimming Gala became a major event on the school calendar with the arrival of Mrs. Helen Catterall in 1959, and the eventual completion of the school pool in 1966. The team's aim has always been to earn a place in the Rhodesian inter-schools finals gala and Jameson did this on several occasions, finishing sixth in 1979, a great feat considering the numbers involved. Swimmers of note have been Joan May, Dorothy Fairbairn, Sandy Mcculloch, Jacolet Wessels, Jeanette Howes, Jenny McCormick, Hayley Burgess and Carol Bourgonje. The boys' swimming was always comparatively weak although Brian and 'Chappi' Abrams gained places in the Rhodesian junior water polo team and Les Abrams later represented the Rhodesian senior team.
Diving, too, has produced its stars with most of the girls being given a thorough grounding by Mrs. Gwen Attwell during her ten-year coaching spell at the school. Helen Attwell, Judy Conway and the Young sisters were highly rated divers in inter-provincial competitions whilst Adrienne Cameron won numerous inter-school titles, went on to captain the national diving team and became the South African springboard champion in 1975. Now Mrs. Wilson, Adrienne has been coaching since 1971 and was recently appointed Zimbabwe's national coach.
The different racquet sports have produced a number of individual stars but, girls' tennis apart, have suffered in opposition to the major sports. Badminton, for example, had a brief existence but in that time Trevor Waghorn was selected in 1976 as the Rhodesian junior captain of a team which included JJ. van Zyl. A squash-court was built in 1952, but it is only since the school entered a team in the local league that the sport has come to the fore and in recent years Beryl Johnstone, Rodney Johnstone, Gary Snelling and Bruce Newman have gained national selection.
Tennis, which is played on thirteen courts of which four have all-weather surfaces has produced a number of Midlands champions but the school has only occasionally tested the major Salisbury schools. In ....


This book and this web page is copyright. No portion may be reproduced in any form without written permission of the publishers.


Back


© Copyright 1967-2006 - Books of Rhodesia, Books of Zimbabwe Rhodesia, Books of Zimbabwe<br>Images and logos on this site may not be used or re-produced in any form without written permission from the respective owners.